The history of Cottingham Cricket Club goes back to the 1850’s, but it wasn’t until 1964 that the club moved from friendly only matches to playing League cricket, in the East Riding Amateur League. Since then the club has steadily expanded, forming a 2nd XI (1978), 3rd XI (1990) and 4th XI (2012). We also run junior teams, ranging from under 9 to under 17’s, to become one of the largest clubs in the area.
The club was approached by the trustees of the Cottingham Young Peoples Sports Foundation, who recently acquired the land at Hill Top, Willerby Low Road, Cottingham. To see if we would be interested in moving to their new facility, which already had Rugby League and football teams playing there, and were more than happy to agree to the move.
A brand new cricket square was laid in the autumn of 2001, in readiness for the forthcoming season, when the 1st, 2nd and some Junior XI’s played their matches. From the 2014 season the club were able to relocate the 3rd X11 to Hilltop with a square laid on the football pitch when their season was over. The club now has 12 teams playing with over 120 young people involved in the club with over 50 cricket matches played at Hilltop during a season.